The phone on my bed sang its song, telling me I've received an SMS. Halfway between reality and dreamland, I opened my eyes and groggily read the message.
"Hi, how r u? Long time didn't call back. Busy? Free pls call home."
It struck a chord deep in my heart. That was from my parents.
How long has it been? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? No, it's been longer, almost a month now, since I last called back. Exams literally took my life away, took away the joy in my heart, took away the smile on my face.
I even refused to call back on my mum's birthday, as I became subconsciously aware of it. That was more than a week ago now, and I have not even send a birthday wish. And now, as my phone shine brightly against my face under the duvet, regret and disappointment filled my heart.
Along the tides of life, I have lost a piece of my heart.
Along the way, have I really grown so far apart from my parents? That tone in the SMS sounded more of a stranger than a family to me. Have I allowed myself to be so distant?
"mom is anxious about your exams
better call home soon"
My brother reminded me today. It was unnecessary, as I've just called home earlier yesterday. But.
The forced cheery voice of my dad.
The nervous laughter of my mum.
The weary nags of my grandma.
It's enough to bring a man to his knees and cry for forgiveness.

No comments:
Post a Comment