Monday, May 07, 2012

social media


A notification popped up on my phone.

"You have a new friend request."

Amazing isn't it, how connected we all are. Even more so through this social media thingamajig on the internet. This was from a guy I have only met once, but have since been messaging me on Grindr - even though I ignored him at times because admittedly, I'm the worst when it comes to replying. He seems like a nice guy tho, just not quite what I was looking for.

Curiously, I clicked through his Facebook profile and wouldn't you have it. More than half the guys on Grindr are among his 'friends'. And that was when it struck me.

This is a really small world.

Not that I care much about what people say, I do sleep around. Or did, it's not much of my thing these days. But when I looked through his 'friends' list, I felt .. queer. Not sure how to describe it, but it's like if I met any of these other gays, it feels strange to know that I have slept with their friends before even knowing that person.

And I also realised the gay circle is too small for comfort. There's only so many of us in this city, and inevitably we're all only two or three degrees of acquaintance apart.

Perhaps it's best to keep a low profile. Good thing then half the guys I have slept with are not from this city.

Needless to say, I ignored his friend request. I try to keep it private, it's probably the only thing I have that's not out in the public now.

No comments: